There are a lot of different types of equipment used in the medical field. It all needs to be functioning properly in order for the medical team using it to get the best results and readings. Medical equipment service technicians, also known in the medical industry as biomedical equipment technicians, are the professionals who are trained to install, maintain, and repair all the medical equipment.
Medical Equipment Service Tech Job Description
- You will test and calibrate the working parts of the equipment.
- Repair and replace any of the damaged parts.
- Perform routine maintenance.
- Keep detailed records on services you’ve performed.
- Stay up to date through continual training and through reading technical guides and manuals.
- Be able to explain how to use the equipment to medical staff.
- Be able to diagnose a problem prior to repairing the equipment.
You’ll work on equipment such as x-ray machines, ultrasound equipment, monitors, defibrillators, and various life support machines, to name a few.
How to Become a Medical Equipment Repairer
To solidify your chances of snagging a job as a medical equipment service tech, you’re going to need to have some education to back you. Here’s what you’re going to have to do:
- Get your high school diploma or GED.
- Get an associate’s degree in biomedical equipment technology or engineering.
- To work on the more sophisticated equipment, a bachelor’s degree may be needed.
- To work on less complicated equipment, you may only need one year of on-the-job training.
- Once you have your degree, receive on-the-job training for 3-6 months.
- Consider getting certifications: Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician, Certified Radiology Equipment Specialist, and Certified Laboratory Equipment Specialist are all available through the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation.
When you first start out as a medical equipment service tech, you may earn close to $35,530 per year. After you build up experience, the mean salary is currently $60,950. The top earners in this field make over $94,310. You’ll find the highest salaries through hospitals.
Salary info was updated in May of 2023.