Over the next decade these are projected to be the fastest growing medical and healthcare careers. Skilled workers like physicians assistant, medical and health service manager, and physical therapist assistant will be in demand.
Along with those noted above, the projected fastest growing medical careers in the United States over the next decade include entry level and advanced positions like home health aide, occupational therapy assistant, and nurse practitioner.
Here’s a list of some of the top medical and healthcare careers with the fastest projected growth. Information includes projected growth rate for 2020-2030, average salary information, and job description.
- Nurse practitioner positions are expected to grow 52%, and NPs average pay is $120,680 per year.
- Nurse practitioners have different duties depending on which state they work in. NPs are kind of a registered nurse-physician hybrid, capable of doing things normally delegated to only one profession or the other. Find a nurse practitioner program now.
Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Occupational therapy assistant positions are projected to grow 36% and their average pay is $61,730 per year.
- Occupational therapy assistants help patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily home and work tasks.
Physical Therapy Assistant
- Physical therapist assistant positions are projected to grow 35%, and their average pay is $61,180 per year.
- Therapy assistants are in demand. They help patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily living and working activities. Therapy assistants are directly involved in providing therapy to patients, working under the direction of a physical or occupational therapist. Learn more about what a physical therapy assistant does.
Home Health Aide
- Home health aide’s are in demand and positions are expected to grow 33%. The HHA’s average pay close to $30,000 per year.
- A home health aide cares for physically, mentally, and emotionally ill individuals within the comfort of the patients’ homes.
Medical & Health Service Managers
- Medical and health service manager positions are projected to grow 32%. They currently have an average pay of $101,3480 per year.
- Medical and health services managers conduct planning and direction. They coordinate the business activities of healthcare providers. Find a healthcare administration program now.
- Physician assistant positions are expected to grow 31%, and their average pay is $121,530 per year.
- PAs practice medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons. They work in environments like offices, hospitals, and clinics. PAs diagnose patients, treat illnesses, and prescribe medication. PAs assist with some medical procedures and face a variety of clinical decisions.
Other Noteworthy Medical Careers With Fast Growth Projections
These medical careers also have much faster than average projected growth rates. Medical Assistant
- Medical assistant positions are expected to grow 19%, and the average pay is $34,800 per year.
- Medical assistant training prepares the student to handle a variety of responsibilities, both administrative and clinical, based on the office where they are employed. Clinical duties require more responsibility and can only be performed by the medical assistant if the state law permits. Find a medical assistant program near you or online.
- Physical therapists positions are expected to grow 21%, and their average pay is $95,620 per year.
- Patients with physical disability, injury, or disease that affects their mobility and causes pain are helped to a better quality of life by their physical therapist.
- Massage therapist positions are projected to grow 32%, and their average pay is $46,910 per year.
- Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, pathology, benefits and effects of massage, and laws and regulations of massage therapy. They’ll also learn different types of massage techniques such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, and prenatal. Find a local massage therapy program now.
- Medical assistant positions are expected to grow 18% and the median pay of a medical assistant was $37,190 in 2021.
- Medical assistant training can take about 8-10 months to finish a certificate program and up to 2 years to complete an associate’s degree program.
Statistics updated in 2022. See our web story that goes with this post: Fastest Growing Medical Careers