Over the next decade, six of the top ten fastest growing careers are projected to be in the medical and healthcare fields. These jobs are traditional standards like physicians assistants, medical and health service manager, and physical therapist assistant.
Fastest Growing Medical Careers
Along with those noted above, the projected fastest growing medical careers in the United States over the next decade include entry level and advanced positions like home health aide, occupational therapy assistant, and nurse practitioner.
Here’s a list of the top 5 medical and healthcare careers with the fastest projected growth. Information includes projected growth rate for 2019-2029, average salary information, and job description.
Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Nurse practitioner positions are expected to grow 52%, and NPs average pay is $109,820 per year.
- Nurse practitioners have different duties depending on which state they work in. NPs are kind of a registered nurse-physician hybrid, capable of doing things normally delegated to only one profession or the other. Find a nurse practitioner program now.
Home Health Aide
- Occupational therapy assistant positions are projected to grow 35% and their average pay is $61,510 per year.
- Occupational therapy assistants help patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily home and work tasks.
Physical Therapy Assistant
- Home health aide’s are in demand and positions are expected to grow 34%. The HHA’s average pay is $25,280 per year.
- A home health aide cares for physically, mentally, and emotionally ill individuals within the comfort of the patients’ homes.
Medical & Health Service Managers
- Physical therapist assistant positions are projected to grow 33%, and their average pay is $58,790 per year.
- Therapy assistants are in demand. They help patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily living and working activities. Therapy assistants are directly involved in providing therapy to patients, working under the direction of a physical or occupational therapist. Learn more about what a physical therapy assistant does.
- Medical and health service manager positions are projected to grow 32%. They currently have an average pay of $100,980 per year.
- Medical and health services managers conduct planning and direction. They coordinate the business activities of healthcare providers. Find a healthcare administration program now.
- Physician assistant positions are expected to grow 31%, and their average pay is $112,260 per year.
- PAs practice medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons. They work in environments like offices, hospitals, and clinics. PAs diagnose patients, treat illnesses, and prescribe medication. PAs assist with some medical procedures and face a variety of clinical decisions.
Other Noteworthy Medical Careers With Fast Growth Projections
These medical careers also have much faster than average projected growth rates.
- Medical assistant positions are expected to grow 19%, and the average pay is $34,800 per year.
- Medical assistant training prepares the student to handle a variety of responsibilities, both administrative and clinical, based on the office where they are employed. Clinical duties require more responsibility and can only be performed by the medical assistant if the state law permits. Find a medical assistant program near you or online.
- Physical therapists positions are expected to grow 18%, and their average pay is $89,440 per year.
- Patients with physical disability, injury, or disease that affects their mobility and causes pain are helped to a better quality of life by their physical therapist.
- Massage therapist positions are projected to grow 21%, and their average pay is $42,820 per year.
- Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, pathology, benefits and effects of massage, and laws and regulations of massage therapy. They’ll also learn different types of massage techniques such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, and prenatal. Find a local massage therapy program now.
Statistics updated 9/25/2020